Jessica's Blog

Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year...

More than a week into a brand new year. I noticed on the weather site that I frequent, a banner that said 'Back to the grind". What a depressing outlook on a new year to be spreading around! I prefer to look at it as having a clean piece of paper to write on.

Always looking back on the year that has passed us, I can't believe that it's gone already. I feel like it was just the fourth of July. Christmas seemed to have passed by like a flash. I have never had a Christmas go by me so fast! Though I love the holiday's, I was oddly happy to be taking down our Christmas tree. It just seemed that taking down all of the Christmas decorations and putting them all away, would usher in a new year faster, hopefully with new changes.

I also find that I am very much looking forward to Spring. We had one very spring-ish day last week, and I enjoyed it while it stuck around. I am usually a stickler to winter, cold and snowy! But, Spring here in Colorado is still more like winter then anything. We can have a day where it's 70 degrees out, then snow the next week. Not this week, the lows have been down below the teens, with wind chill factors of -2. That's cold! Yesterday was beautifully cloudy, today the skies are immaculate blue.
It might be a bit late for a new years post, but I'm going to post what we did anyway! Our celebrations for the new year is usually just limited to our family. Every now and then we will have a gathering of people over, for this year though, it was just us. Which I don't mind, our family makes quite a party with just us!
We love to entertain, and even though is was just us, I tried a new appetizer. We don't fry things very often, practically never... but we had to try this one.
Fried Pasta. It came out so good! The only thing you have to do to the pasta before you fry it is boil it. Not until it's completely cooked, just until it's tender. I made about 8 cups of dry pasta.
Then you heat about 4 quarts of oil to 370 degrees. This was definitely not a 'let the kids help' recipe, I kicked everybody out of the kitchen when I fried it. A deep pot is absolutely necessary, the oil tends to boil up the sides and out of the pot when the pasta is added. Fry the pasta until it turns light brown. Then remove the pasta with a slotted spoon, you have to work fast, once the pasta starts to brown it does it very quickly! I was surprised that it took so long for the pasta to start to brown though, about 5-6 minutes.

After all of the pasta has been fried, you can can add spices and cheese, whatever you want. I added about a cup and a half of Parmesan cheese and then garlic, pepper and thyme. All done!



A belated happy New Year to everyone!

posted by ~*~Jessica~*~ at 9:15 AM

3 Comments:

Oh, yum....fried pasta! Sounds great!

January 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM  

I have never heard of fried pasta before, now my curiosity is peeked and I need to try it"-)

Thanks for sharing

Connie

January 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM  

These look familiar ; )

May 14, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home