Jessica's Blog

Monday, April 14, 2008

It's Called A Beautiful Letdown ~*~ Only to Someone Else

Friday was shopping day (yes, it's taking me this long to post a happening!). The grocery shopping is sort of my job, sometimes Mom does it, but it's usually me who does the that and any extra errands. I like the job, it's a fun outing, and sometimes I can squeeze in going to the library to get a movie, a Starbucks, or maybe a quick stop at the crafts store! Generally, I take at least a couple of kids with me, if I'm really feeling peppy I'll take all seven! Mike comes of course, he's always my favorite shopping "buddy"!

On the way home, we stopped at Target for something extra. Another fun stop anyway, Mike and I like to go there to look for movies. We got our stuff and got in line. There were two girls in front of us. I couldn't help but listen to their conversation...

The one girl was relating her "guy" problems to the other. She had quite a few, probably from juggling too many guys. The other girl listened intently, related her similar problems right back. I started observing little comparisons, between those two girls and me. Both of them looked as though they had been to the tanning salon several times already, their nails were perfectly Frenched, hair looked as though the wind wasn't blowing at all that day. Tons of gaudy make-up, I think half of their lip mass was painted on. From everything else, I figured that they were on their way to a party. Both of them reeked of cigarette smoke. Which was sad in itself, neither of them looked older then 18-19 years old. Their whole appearance, everything from the way that they dressed, to what they had on their face, conveyed everything that was self-centered... it was clear that they only had them to worry about.

I smiled when I looked down at my nails, hacked off the day before so I could do my embroidery work and bread baking without the pain of long nails. Did I envy those girls? No, not one little bit. I was thinking on the way home of all of the things I noticed, and I thought out loud when I told my brother that I was glad I wasn't like either of them.

Of course I'm a girly-girl, I do my hair everyday, and wear make-up, and paint my nails, toe nails included. I do everything that makes me just look like, well a girl! But there are distinct differences in just making your self look like a girl, and trying to make yourself into something like that.

I know sometimes people look at me and wonder why I am still here. Occasionally even talk to me as if I can't stand being in the house with so many children, regardless of how much they know I love them. They know all of that, but when am I going to get out and take care of me? Well, never.

I was thankful that God never gave me the opportunity to become that way. I'm glad that I'm not a "party girl". I like my short nails and the fact that I can go outside and get my hands dirty. I love taking all of my brothers and sisters with me to the grocery store and the library.

I love being here, and like looking like a "worked" girl. I don't want my hands to look as if they had never seen a dish brush, or had never been stabbed a few times with a sewing needle, or burned taking dinner out of the oven. I don't care if my hair isn't sprayed perfectly into place because I have been chasing kids all over creation.

I'm thankful that I don't have "guy" problems. The only guy I will ever have is going to be a "Mr." and I am going to be the "Mrs.". If girls looked at dating and guys that way, they wouldn't have to stand in line and consult on what do do with harry, moe and mac all at one time.

My idea of a wild night is to stay home and drink my chamomile tea and watch my corny British comedies! In the end, thank you God for making me what I am.



~*~Jessica~*~

Labels: , ,

posted by ~*~Jessica~*~ at 8:29 PM

4 Comments:

Bravo, wow, Jess, that was wonderful. A truly "from the heart" post that a lot of the young ladies I know, including myself, can relate to! We went to the store today and I saw countless girls who looked like the ones you described and I don't envy them in the lest. I am happy being who I am, and being different. My sister and I walked by a little girl and she said "Look mommy those girls are wearing dresses". We were wearing skirts, but it is sad that it was such a sight to be seen for this little 4yo.

I am happy with who I am and I don't want to be different .... God knows what he's doing. I admire you for your willingness to trust in Him!

I blogged about the KH Pals! :)

Love
MJ

April 14, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

Thank you for the comment and the compliment Jocelyn :)

My sisters and I get the same thing from others. It's amazing how many, not just other little girls, but adults as well, will stare at a girl wearing a dress that doesn't include the title of "mini". I suppose it's not normal to wear stuff that covers more then 1/4 of your body.

We need to start another blogroll, the "Happy Who We Are" blogroll ;)

April 15, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

Excellent article! My four sisters and I wear dresses or skirts always. I wish others could know the joy of enjoying being a woman and dressing like one.

February 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Thank you :) ~*~Jessica~*~

February 18, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home