Jessica's Blog

Monday, April 21, 2008

~*~Beautifully Springy Morning~*~

Due to a very busy and stressful week, I have avoided my blog. My step-dad had surgery on Monday, so the house and children have needed extra attention. We are just now starting to get caught up with, everything.

After getting lots of good sleep last night, Mom and I still managed to get out of bed early enough to go for a walk. The weather has been so pretty this week, very windy... but I don't mind that, I love blustery days. I love it when we are up early enough to enjoy the weather, take a shower and go to the store all before 8:30 in the morning!

We may not have very many trees here, (I'm from the east coast, so no, relatively speaking we do not have a lot of trees here), but we do have lots and lots of birds. We put up a bird house a month or two ago, and the kids have been dropping little handfuls of bird seed in there to see what they could attract. It didn't take long, soon we had what looked to be the bird club on our back fence. Now we have a permanent visitor who has been busy building a nest. I caught this one this morning with the camera~


After my little nature photo shoot, I put the camera to another use, I was making Peanut Butter Granola, so I thought I would put the recipe here, since I haven't been doing much of that here. This is one of our favorite recipes, and if you like peanut butter captain crunch like my Mom and I do (ooo, confessions), then you will find this to be a yummy and healthy alternative!~

The Recipe~*~

~*We have a flaker to flake our own oats, rather then dropping 10 bucks for a box of the stale stuff from the store!

Melt over low heat in a saucepan:
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
3 tsp. vanilla

While that is sitting on the heat, combine in a large bowl
10 cups freshly flaked oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar

I forgot to to mix the brown sugar into the oats *before* I added the peanut sauce, so there were lumps of sugar in it.. "Oh darn", thought the kids.

Pour the sauce over the oats and stir well to combine. Try and chop it up a little bit with the spoon to get some of the lumps out of it.

Preheat the oven to 350. If your pans are as well-loved as ours.. as in Mother Dear threatened to throw ours out last night.. then I would recommend lining them with parchment paper before dumping the granola onto them.

Bake for 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.





posted by ~*~Jessica~*~ at 1:03 PM

2 Comments:

I'm not really a big fan of peanut butter either, unless it's mixed with chocolate, like a Reeses cup, but I don't eat a lot of candy. There's something about peanut butter cereal though! Yummy!

And yes, I did make my signature, I made my Mom one too :) We thought pretty signatures would be nice for our Joyous Home blog.

April 24, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

YUMMMY That looks good !
I hope you are havening a lovely day
God bless

April 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home